View Other Exemptions
Vehicles Exempt from Emissions Testing
Certain vehicles are exempt from emissions testing, therefore do not require an emissions inspection. Those vehicles include:
- Vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 8,500 pounds. Note: If the tag office states the vehicle must be tested, the motorist must complete the GVWR Letter Application and present the vehicle for a visual inspection at a GCAF Customer Service Center. Once the GVWR letter is issued, the motorist can use the GVWR letter when registering the vehicle in lieu of presenting proof of inspection.
- Vehicles operated exclusively on diesel or another alternative fuel, e.g. natural gas, propane, etc. Note: Bi-fuel or flexible fuel vehicles must be tested if one of the fuels burned is gasoline.
- The three most recent model year vehicles. For registration in 2017, this includes all 2015 and newer model year vehicles.
- Antique or collector vehicles. Vehicles 25 model years old or older are exempt from the emissions inspection. For vehicle registrations in 2017, this includes model years 1992 and older.
- Motorcycles, recreational vehicles (RVs) and motor homes
- Diesel vehicles