Become a Certified Inspector
Certified Vehicle Emissions Inspector
State law, O.C.G.A. Section 12-9, set the requirements for inspector certification. Georgia’s I/M Rule, Chapter 391-3-20-11, entitled “Inspector Qualifications and Certifications,” details the requirements in part provided below, for individuals who are interested in becoming certified Georgia emissions inspectors.
- You must first be employed or affiliated with an emissions inspection station.
- Submit a complete Inspector Certification Application and provide one of the following acceptable forms of identification:
- Driver’s license/state ID
- Voter’s ID card
- Valid employee photo ID from any branch, department, agency, or entity of the U.S. government, Georgia, or any county, municipality, board, authority, or other entity of this state
- U.S. passport ID
- U.S. military photo ID
- Tribal photo ID
- Register and attend a two-day training course held at a Georgia’s Clean Air Force (GCAF) training center, located in GCAF North and GCAF Central.
- Pass a written examination with a score of 80 percent or better and complete the equipment training segment (included in the two-day course).
- Upon successful completion of the course, you will receive an inspector ID badge and wall certificate, valid for two (2) years.
- Passing students will receive certificates and photo identification cards in the mail at their home address within 10 business days after the end of inspector certification.
- Students will receive notice of their test failure within two (2) business days from GCAF so they can schedule a re-test.
Emissions inspectors play an important role in identifying heavy polluting vehicles. The goal of Georgia’s I/M Program is to ensure the vehicles you inspect meet set criteria for the pollutants they emit. Meeting these criteria helps improve our air quality. The I/M program rules include specific procedures for conducting emissions inspections. Failing to adhere to these procedures can result in violations, penalties or revocation of the inspector license.
Click here to download the Inspector Training Manual.
Click here to download the Inspection Equipment Hands-On Training Manual.
Click here to download the Online Inspector Practice Exam.