Open a Testing Station
Please read the following instructions carefully and ensure you have all the required information and documentation prior to completing your Station Certification Application. The Station Certification Applications must be submitted electronically. When completing the application, do not use ditto marks or enter “same” in any fields.
After GCAF and EPD determine your application is complete and the supporting documents meet the requirements, your application will be conditionally approved. When your station is conditionally approved, you will receive your Dashboard credentials (user name and password) and be permitted to order E-certs. In order for the Station Certification Application to receive final approval, your station must pass the certification audit. During the certification audit, you must display both an acceptable form of a photo ID and the original, notarized “O.C.G.A. § 50-36-1(e)(2) Lawful Presence Affidavit for GCAF Station Certification” to the GCAF auditor.
You are required to provide detailed information on the Station Certification Application in several categories, some of which are listed below with important notes regarding the fields that must be completed.
- OWNER INFORMATION – Note: A post office box address is not permitted for the owner “Home Address.”
- STATION INFORMATION -
- Note: A post office box address is not permitted for the “Station Address,” however it is permitted for the “Station Mailing Address,” if different than the “Station Address.”
- The “Phone” number provided for the station must be for a permanent and dedicated voice communication line. This is required for communication with the station by the Georgia Environmental Protection Division (EPD), GCAF and station customers. Note: cell phones are not permitted. Further, if changed, the station “Phone” number must be updated within 24 hours by completing and submitting a “Station Information Update Form.”
- You must also provide a dedicated phone number for the GAS unit. This line cannot be shared with any other equipment and cannot be part of a phone network, dial ‘9’ extension, dual line or rollover system.
- TYPE OF STATION CERTIFICATION DESIRED
- You may select more than one certification type. These include, but are not limited to:
- PUBLIC TEST AND REPAIR STATION – these stations can perform emissions tests for the general public and are equipped to do emissions repairs.
- PUBLIC TEST ONLY STATIONS - these stations can perform emissions tests for the general public only.
- COMMERCIAL OR GOVERNMENT FLEET STATIONS – these stations can perform emissions tests on their self-owned fleet vehicles only and cannot test public and non-owned fleet vehicles.
- MOBILE TEST UNIT STATIONS – these stations must have a unit associated with their station to apply for mobile test of non-owned fleet vehicles. Note: mobile units cannot be used for public testing outside of their home test station.
- DEALER ONLY STATIONS – these stations are car dealers and can perform emissions tests on self-owned vehicles only and cannot test public and non-owned fleet vehicles.
- INSURANCE INFORMATION
- A copy of the Certificate of Liability Insurance must be submitted when applying to become a new station and resubmitted every two years when renewing your station license with GCAF. Make certain the station information on the insurance certificate is the exact same as the station information submitted on your Station Certification Application and on your business license. A sample list of insurance providers is located on the website; however, you are not restricted to just these insurance providers.
- If you are an ALL VEHICLES WELCOME station, your insurance should show a limit (dollar amount) of garage liability and show the garage keeper’s endorsement to your garage liability insurance.
- If you are a 1996 AND NEWER VEHICLES ONLY station, you need liability insurance only.
- We do not accept binders, declaration pages, proposals or “to be assigned” policies.
- In this section, check the box that states you have the proper insurance.
- If GCAF is the “Certificate Holder,” please include the new address: 445 Atlanta South Pkwy, Ste. 150, Atlanta, GA 30349.
- STATION INSPECTOR LIST
- If an inspector(s) is not yet certified, enter their name and check the last column.
- If the inspector(s) is already certified, enter their name and inspector certification number, and leave the last column blank.
Applying for Station Certification
Station Certification Applications must be submitted electronically. After GCAF and EPD determine your application is complete and the supporting documents meet the requirements, your application will be conditionally approved. In order for the application to receive final approval, your station must pass the certification audit.
GCAF only accepts documentation in English; documents in other languages will not be accepted. Additional documentation may be required in order to process the request to open a new station.
The following documentation must be submitted when applying for new station certification:
- A completed Station Certification Application
- A scanned copy of the following:
- Current years’ business license
- Current W-9 for the business
Station owners must submit a recently dated copy of their W-9. Only legible, recently dated, scanned copies will be accepted.
- Station owners must submit the W-9 exactly the way they report to the IRS.
- If you have an accountant or accounting service that submits to the IRS on your behalf, please seek their advice.
- If you are unsure how you report to the IRS, contact the IRS and request a 5071C Letter to verify your company name and tax identification number.
- The IRS will not accept your W-9 if there are any spelling errors, spelling variations, or numerical errors. It is imperative that your W-9 matches exactly to what the IRS has on file.
- Ex: If you originally filed under the name Bob’s Emissions and you have recently submitted a new W-9 typed Bobs Emissions, the IRS will reject your form.
- Ex: If you originally filed under the name Sammy’s Fast Cars and you have recently submitted a new W-9 typed Sammi’s Fast Cars, the IRS will reject your form.
- Ex: Your TIN is 58-123456 and you transpose the number 85-123456, the IRS will reject your form.
- If a station is requesting a refund, the W-9 has to be dated in the same year as the request. The IRS WILL NOT accept a form dated in a previous year.
- Certificate of Liability Insurance; “All Vehicles Welcome” stations must show the Garage Keeper’s endorsement
- Owner’s photo ID and inspector ID’s (driver’s license/state ID/voter’s ID/passport/government employee ID/tribal ID)
- Site plan drawing
Please allow 4 to 12 weeks for processing applications. Applications are processed in the order in which they are received. The applicant will receive a confirmation number for an online submittal to acknowledge a successful transmission. Please use this number when referring to your application. You will be contacted by email once the form is processed. PLEASE NOTE: If you fail to upload the correct documentation, you will receive an email advising you of this fact. In this case, when the correct documentation is received, the processing time will reset to the times outlined above.
For additional program information, please visit the “Station & Inspectors” tab of the GCAF website at www.cleanairforce.com. Industry Advisory Board (IAB) members are also available to answer specific questions regarding station management; contact information for IAB members can also be found on the GCAF website.
You are only three steps away from filling out your application to open a new emissions inspection station.
You must complete the checklist provided below before you can begin your online application.
Step #1: You are required to review the Station Owner’s Presentation prior to completing the Station Certification Application.
Step #2: Next, review the Required Materials/Information Checklist for Stations to ensure you have all the documents required to submit your online application, and prepare for the GCAF Certification Audit.
Step #3: Continue forward to begin the online application.